These days, it may seem impossible to shield your private information with no risk of a breakdown. But you do have some simple ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim of identity theft. If you would like to learn how to protect yourself against identity theft, please read on, then contact an experienced Los Angeles, California identity theft lawyer soon.
What can I do to protect myself from identity theft?
Some ways to protect yourself against identity theft include:
- Once you no longer need certain private records, destroy them. You can do so by simply running them through a paper shredder.
- Don’t let mail sit in your mailbox for days. Once you see the mail truck, go outside and retrieve your mail. The longer you leave it there, the greater the window people will have to take your mail and discover your personal information.
- Never share your Social Security number unless absolutely necessary. Often, when you’re asked to share your SS number, you can simply ask, “is this required?” Often, it isn’t. Also, never carry your card on your person. Doing so can increase your chances of losing it and having it fall into the wrong hands.
- If you withdraw money from an ATM, make sure no one is behind you who may be looking for your PIN number and ensure you take your receipt.
- Keep your credit card on you at all times, and always keep an eye on your credit report. Also, whenever you get a credit card statement, look it over before you pay.
If you have followed these steps and still become the victim of identity theft, speak with a skilled California consumer lawyer today.
Contact our Los Angeles Firm
If you have any matters regarding consumer law, personal injury, employment law, entertainment law, criminal defense or immigration, contact us at Los Angeles Legal Solutions.